A new episode of Neymar’s trial began on October 17. On Friday, the prosecutor of the Barcelona Public Prosecutor’s Office announced ” Withdraw charges against all accused on all facts” They were accused. The prosecution initially demanded 2 years in prison and a fine of 10 million euros against the Brazilian player.
Question: In 2013, irregularities were noticed during the transfer of Neymar to Barcelona while playing for Santos in the Brazilian Championship. Announced in May 2013 in Catalonia for an official fee of €51.7m, the current PSG player’s transfer has raised questions alerting Spanish tax authorities, who believe the transfer was actually worth around €107m. Including bonus.
Sandro Rosel, the main suspect in the case accused of fraud in the transfer of Neymar from Santos to Barca, took the helm on Friday. The expected moment when the maximum sentence of the trial, five years in prison, was sought against him. Visibly marked, the former president of FC Barcelona reiterated his position: there was no fraud against DIS, the company that owned 40% of Neymar’s rights when he moved from Santos to Barca in 2013. 40 m (Barca paid Neymar’s family, Editor’s note)Not a bribe, but a transfer bonus He hit. Josep Maria Bartomeu, his right-hand man questioned a little later, ” Don’t know about the company DIS “. Conversations with other defendants and experts caused dramatic change.
After initially calling for prison terms for all defendants in the case except Josep Maria Bartomeu, the Spanish public prosecutor changed his mind and called for all to be released. The Neymar clan, though absent from the debates, is expected via video conference next Monday so it can escape the DIS charge. Furthermore, no financial penalty was ultimately claimed for the companies targeted by this complaint: FC Barcelona, Santos FC, and the company Neymar N&N.
DIS still says it was defrauded in the case, and charges remain against all defendants except Neymar’s mother, Nadine Gonsalves. The Public Prosecutor is of the opinion that the signed agreements did not prejudice DIS. The decision is now in the hands of the president of the court, who will decide whether to follow the prosecution’s opinion or not.
Last week, Neymar and his father triumphed over each other, announcing that he had chosen Barca for “heart” reasons. Josep Bartomeu and Sandro Rosell sat side by side in the dock and exchanged a few words with a smile at the end of Friday’s hearing. Next Monday, the defendants will be able to speak again before sentencing.
When asked about his involvement in these alleged scams on October 18, Neymar defended himself. “He signed everything his father told him to sign”.
In a press release, his communications company responded by welcoming the case. “Definitely closed” About ten years after the said transfer.